Thursday, March 29, 2012

Happy Hunger Games !


The Hunger Games
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci
March 23, 2012; March 24, 2012; March 28, 2012

It's Lindsay here! I know I've been MIA but I'm back. I'll blog about my trip later when I have more time and have uploaded my pictures. I will give you this, it was a fantastic trip.

So here I am now with a movie review (I know, I haven't given you my reviews in quite some time).

The Hunger Games. These books have been top in my list of favorite books since the second Carrie Wasserman gifted the trilogy box set to me for christmas 2009 (?). I was wary of reading them as the only young adult books I like are the Harry Potter series...and NO if you mention that trash that is known as Twilight I will scream. So I started reading The Hunger Games to appease Carrie. Needless to say I was hooked within the first couple of pages. I read all three books (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay) in record time, not being able to put them down, and at the end of Mockingjay I was left wanting more!

Suzanne Collins has an incredible ability to bring the reader into her story, her use of visual descriptions and the special way she has us feeling exactly what is going on with the characters she creates. That is the mark of an extremely talented writer. She created this world set in the future, a world where children are used as pawns by the Capitol to punish those who caused an uprising, to use them to make sure an uprising doesn't happen again. She made it so real and visceral that we are left rooting for the 'underdogs' so that the power hungry (pun intended) can for once lose.

Collins has created this character who exemplifies bravery in every way. She is thrown into this situation that is horrifying and shock inducing for even the strongest of people, and that she is only 16 years old makes her even more of a incredible character. Katniss Everdeen is one of my favorite characters, for her strength and courage.

Now, how does the movie translate? I believe in my opinion that the film was an extraordinary adaptation. I do realize the mixed reviews and the many fans who were disappointed, or those who have just read the book not liking the movie (Mark being one of them) but we all have our own thoughts and minds. And I was one hundred percent happy with the movie. It was one of the very few films that stayed very true to the book, and I believe that the fact Suzanne Collins was one of the screenwriters helped in that aspect. Yes, they changed how Katniss received the mockingjay pin and a few other things, but none that truly had a major effect on the story. Yes, I am a little disappointed about the mockingjay pin, but not enough to hinder my thoughts.

The action was intense, and even though they eased up on the violence to keep it at a PG13 rating it had the same effect. I felt for the characters...I cried like an infant at about four different scenes. It made me feel. A film that can bring emotion to me and make me so invested in the characters is one that I connect with and this is one of those films. I absolutely am enthralled with it.

Now the actors portraying these phenomenal characters are each incredible in their own way. And even though at first I was not happy about the casting of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna after seeing him play the role I was left loving him as the character.

Two stood out for me, Elizabeth Banks as Effie brought me to tears of laughter! The way she carried herself and the way she pursed her lips was perfect. And my favorite line of the entire movie was said by Effie -- "That...is...MAHOGANY!"

Jennifer Lawrence......her portrayal of Katniss was absolutely phenomenal. She brought this heroin, a character I admire, to life in every way possible. She gave her vulnerability that shimmered underneath her bravery. She was Katniss in every essence.

........................................................

1 comment:

m said...

You'll have to see it a seventh time with Barbara.