Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I Saw Him

I saw him. Two years later. The one person I ever loved. That left me on the bathroom floor. I was getting off the 4 train and transferring to the 6 train. I saw a man walking towards me, as I stood in sweat pants and a winter hat. I don't even think I brushed my teeth. I was going to the gym. From the corner of my eye he looked familiar and I thought I'd look at him as he walked up the stairs to exit the subway. He didn't exit. He stood ten steps away from me, waiting to get on the train that I just got off of.

And then my train came. And I got inside. And I looked through the subway doors and I saw his face. It was him. Two years later. He looked the same, older, but don't we all look older? My stomach flipped a little bit, but not in a good way. And then he felt like a stranger. Like someone that looks familiar, but who you can't really place. You know you have memory of them, maybe even four years worth, but time has changed the memory. I was glad he didn't see me. I didn't look great and don't we all want to secretly look amazing in this situation? If we do see each other again, whether it be another two years, I won't be wondering what does he look like? The shock of seeing him is over. He is over. I picked myself off that floor and became a better person. He is a stranger. Who knew.

No comments: