Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tattoo

Mark has been constantly telling me I should blog about my tattoo. So yes. I did it, I bit the bullet and finally got a tattoo. I have been wanting one for a while, but my courage kept dwindling whenever thinking about it or making plans to get one. About eight months ago I had made an appointment at a parlor in providence and chickened out the last minute. The fear of the pain overcame me.

So I decided for my 31st birthday I would do it. I told only Mark and a couple of my other friends; JWU Carrie, Amy and Dave. Nobody in my family knew, and Amy and Dave didn't think I could do it, even betting me $20 I wouldn't go through with it.

I made an appointment at a place down the street from my house for the day of my birthday. I was set. Luckily Mark came to visit that weekend and came with me for moral support. The tattoo artist (and owner of Inkognito) led me to the chair and prepped my ankle for the artwork. As he was getting the needles ready I started to slightly freak out. But I didn't back out. The worst part was definitely the anticipation. The tattoo itself was not bad at all. And from the many people who have told me that the ankle is the worst part because there's not a lot of fat to cushion the needle...well I wasn't in any pain. Or much I should say. As he got lower it hurt a tad, but easy peasy!

I love it. It's the deathly hallows symbol from harry potter with the breast cancer ribbon entwined around it. It's a symbol that means a great deal to me. The ribbon representing my Aunt and the symbol (which is a combination of the Elder wand, Resurrection stone and Invisibility cloak) basically means the owner of all three is the master of death. I changed it to mean 'master of breast cancer' with the addition of the ribbon. So to me, the tattoo means my aunt is the master of the disease.

No comments: