Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Rest in Heavenly Peace

Rest in Peace Sweet Angels
Sandy Hook, Newtown CT
 12/14/12

I wanted to post a write up on this horrible tragedy and the incredible stories of heroism and sacrifice told in the aftermath. Upon hearing about the shooting that happened on Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT my heart broke for the victims of this unfathomable event. And now, five days after this happened my heart is still broken and these young lives have left a devestating impact on not only myself but the world.

Around the couple of days prior to the shooting I read somehing that struck me. Someone had posted a very truthful statement about how, usually after a mass shooting the victims are remembered for a while but the shooter becomes infamous and becomes a household name (yes, for a negative reason but still everyone seems to remember the names of those mass shooters). And I thought about that for a few minutes and sadly it is true. This person went on to say, that instead of remembering the name of the shooter we should remember the names of the victims, or at least the name of one of the victims. I vowed to do just that. As the names of the children and teachers who had lost their lives were released and their pictures alongside them, one young girl grabbed a hold of me. I don't know what made me connect to her.

Emilie Parker, age 6
Emilie Parker. She was said to draw and paint pictures for those she felt were sad or upset, always one to comfort. An interview with her parents showed them being sad and distraught, but showing empathy towards the man who killed their daughter. Alissa Parker, Emilie's mom even said that she felt bad for him, because she knew he must have been in a really dark place to do something like this and she felt bad that he was in that place. I give both her and Robbie Parker, Emilie's father credit for that. I don't know if I could be that forgiving. They seem to be amazing people.

It remains a mystery to me why people do what they do. What makes these people decide to do something so heinous to murder innocent people? And in this case especially. These children were just babies, barely lived.

The stories of those who sacrificed their lives to protect the children of Sandy Hook makes me believe in humanity, and has made me want to be a teacher; makes me want to be someone who makes an impact on young lives. These teachers, like Victoria Soto who hid her kids in their cubbies and told the shooter that they were in the gym, barricading the door as she did so. Rachel D'Avino who died shielding a student from the gunman. Dawn Hochsprung who died after lunging at the gunman to stop him. And a teacher who survived, Kaitlin Roig who during the shooting, hid her kids and told them "I need you to know that I love you all very much." It is teachers like Victoria, Rachel, Dawn & Kaitlin who are inspirations and who are most definitely Heroes.

I needed to write this blog to express my sympathy and grief over these beautiful people who are now gorgeous angels as I have been very sad over all of it. I needed to let it out so hopefully I can stop having nightmares. Having worked with children for the past 9 years with the drama program it is very difficult to fathom the heartbreaking tragedy that has unfolded in Connecticut.

So to all of the families I am so deeply sorry for your loss. And to those who have witnessed / survived I wish for you all to be okay.

Mostly I wish to all who have died a peaceful and happy eternity with God in Heaven. I imagine you laughing, playing and jumping on clouds.

**Victoria Soto, age 27; Dawn Hochsprung, age 47; Rachel D'Avino, age 29; Anne Marie Murphy, age 52; Nancy Lanza, age 52; Lauren Rousseau, age 29; Mary Sherlach, age 56**

**Charlotte Bacon, age 6; Daniel Barden, age 7; Olivia Engel, age 6; Josephine Gay, age 7; Ana Marquez-Greene, age 6; Madeleine Hsu, age 6; Dylan Hockley, age 6; Caroline Previdi, age 6; Catherine Hubbard, age 6; Chase Kowalski, age 7; Jesse Lewis, age 6; James Mattioli, age 6; Grace McDonnell, age 7; Emilie Parker, age 6; Jack Pinto, age 6; Noah Pozner, age 6; Jessica Rekos, age 6; Avielle Richman, age 6; Benjamin Wheeler, age 6; Allison Wyatt, age 6**

________________________________________

written by Lindsay

No comments: