Saturday, June 30, 2012

Norah Ephron

I am a writer. It doesn't matter that it is not my profession. It is what I have done since I have ten years old, inside my own head, before finding movies, it was my way to escape. It still is. It's harder. To write something original and meaningful and funny. It's hard to just write anything at all. But the satisfaction that comes when I do. The place that my writing, on it's good days takes me too, is the high I think most addicts fine.

I was probably only twelve when I saw When Harry Met Sally... and it still is one of my favorite movies. Not just romantic comedies (which are probably the hardest things to write... despite the little acclaim they receive). And Nora Ephron wrote that movie. She earned an Academy Award nomination for that movie (she earned three Academy Award nominations total). She wrote books and plays. She was a journalist. She was a director and a producer. I was sad to hear that she passed away last week, at the age of 71. I didn't know she was ill. Her last film, Julie & Julia, I loved. But I've loved many of her movies -- Silkwood, Heartburn, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail. And I miss her voice already. It was specific and smart and fast. I plan to rewatch them all again soon.

No comments: