Monday, June 18, 2012

Rock of Ages



Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx

Rock of Ages
Starring: Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Mary J. Blige, Malin Ackerman, Bryan Cranston and Tom Cruise
June 17, 2012 / June 18, 2012

Rock hard or go home! Two words - - TOM CRUISE! Who would have thought that I would have regained my love for him? And after this movie?? But he was phenomenal, outrageous, simply outstanding! Yes folks, he was so good that I started my movie review off focusing on Mr. Cr-uise-azypants. But have to give credit where credit is due. His portrayal of the rocker Stacee Jaxx was pitch perfect, from the bandana, to the girls, to the diva-esque antics. And who knew Tom could sing?! (oh right him and Katie sing random duets here and there...) Well this was different, it was approprate and he was kick ass! My crush on him from Cocktail has resurfaced. ::swoon::

As for the rest of the cast...well they were all amazing as well. They each were so perfectly cast and they could all sing (I'm looking at you Mamma Mia / Pierce Brosnan!!!)! Catherine Zeta-Jones proved that she can always deliver vocally and theatrically and bring humor to any character, and if she can sport a line such as "for the first time she felt like a woman...a woman covered in whipped cream and (roast turkey)* yes, but still a woman" straight faced is downright perfection. Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand were both superb, individually and as a pair. Loved Mary J. Blige, Paul Giamatti and Malin Ackerman. Thought that Julianne Hough was a sweet and excellent Sherrie - and side note, if I looked like her in the outfit she wears at the end I would be very happy - and Diego Boneta was great as Drew / Wolfgang von Cult. I would like to marry him, he is such a cutie.

Now the movie...it was great. I loved it! So much fun, great music, they did well with adapting it from a broadway show to a film. Cut out a few things/songs, added some new stuff and songs. It definitely lived up to my expectations and after seeing it twice (even better the second time) I definitely plan on purchasing this on blu-ray.

* She said something about turkey just not sure exactly what it was

I give it 9 1/2 out of 10 stars.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I always thought Tom Cruise couldn't sing cuz of Jerry Maguire.

Lady in the Street, Freak in the Bed said...

Oh right...I forgot about that. haha I haven't watched Jerry Maguire in soooo long.