Friday, April 22, 2011

Scre4m

Scream 4:
Starring: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Emma Roberts & Hayden Panattiere
April 15, 2011

Finally it was out, the much MUCH anticipated Scream 4. Who would have thought that Sydney Prescott could get into more trouble with Ghost Face? After ten years of silence and no murders by that masked villain that is always someone different, and is always after Syd, Ghost Face is back and full force! What did Sydney do in a past life to make so many people hate her and want her dead?


Whatever it is, I'm grateful because these movies have always been my favorite.

I do love that Wes Craven, and the originals (Neve, Courteney & David) waited ten years for the fourth film to be released. I believe that if they had done it right after Scream 3 it would have been a disaster. With these ten years away from our favorites, Sydney, Gale Weathers and Dewey, it gave the writers and crew time to perfect this franchise.

The opening of the movie is not at all what I expected, but very cleverly thought out and prosecuted. I especially enjoyed Anna Paquin & Kristen Bell's cameo appearances. They provided one of the humorous aspects of the movie. My favorite thing about the SCREAM franchise is that the movies make fun of themselves. Throughout the films there are constant jabs at the horror genre, which just makes for a really fun film.

From the moment I heard they were making a fourth film, I was ecstatic, and let me tell you, the film did NOT disappoint. I was a little worried that bringing in a new movie so many years later would be a let down, but after leaving the theater I was glad my worries were put to rest. Hayden Panattiere's character Kirby, was the comic relief of the film. I really enjoyed her. Emma Roberts played Sydeny's cousin and as Mark stated -- she's no Julia -- but she still played a great character. Adam Brody and Anthony (forget his last name) were the new 'dumb cops' of the series, as Dewey is now Chief. Rory Culkin also was in this movie, looking all geeky and adorable.

The best part of the film were those original characters we love, like Sydney and Dewey, and that one character we love to hate, Gale Weathers. Well...I mean come on, you know you LOVE HER! :) It was sad to see Courteney & David acting opposite each other, just thinking about their marital problems was very upsetting, but both of them were great. It's amazing that even after ten years away from these characters they can go back to them as if they never were apart. Neve Campbell needs to act in more movies. I forget how much I like her every time I see her in something.

I highly recommend this movie, especially if you're a fan of Scream!
FIVE STARS!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Loved this movie! It was funny, gory, suspenceful and even a bit scary!

m said...

you want scary? see insidious. the first 45 minutes freaked me out. and it's only pg-13. the conclusion could have been better, but it's still the best scary movie i've seen since idk when...

scream 4 was fun.