Monday, April 25, 2011

Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants

Starring: Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon, Christoph Waltz

& Thai as Rosie the Elephant

April 22, 2011


Being a huge fan of the book I have been looking forward to seeing this movie since I heard they were making it. But along with that came a huge worry about how they would make this into as great a film as great as the book was. I had such a clear picture in my head on how the story played out and how the characters look. That is what is great about reading, and leaving things to the imagination...you can run wild with it. With films that are made from books, Hollywood kind of steals that image from you.


When I found out that Robert Pattinson was playing the character of Jacob my heart dropped. The only things I had seen him in, was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and (I regret to say - Twilight). Not only was he not even close to what I pictured Jacob to look like, he was the last actor I would have wanted to play him. But, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. He was surprisingly great in the role.


I also didn't picture Reese Witherspoon as Marlena and although I enjoyed her in the role and thought she did a good job, she wasn't excellent.


Now, onto Christoph Waltz (August), who after seeing him in Inglorious Basterds and now this, I have to say the man plays a great villain! When his character was charming, you loved him, and when he was not, you hated him.


The best character / actor in the whole film was by far Thai, who played Rosie the Elephant. She was so great as an elephant and so adorable and sometimes amusing, and heartbreaking and poignant. As you all know I'm obsessed with elephants, and she is the most magnificent elephant ever.


I loved the movie. They did cut out all of the nursing home storyline, just mentioning the home at the beginning and very end. They made the Tiger with no teeth a Lion with no teeth, and didn't have the monkey. The most important change, was the ending. They tweaked it a bit and changed it around a little...but I kind of liked the way they did it. So I'm not too annoyed. All in all it was pretty close to the storyline of the book.

I highly recommend it and give this movie 5 stars.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm glad I reread the book right before I saw the movie. They did make a lot of changes like what you mentioned. Also Marlena's backstory was not at all what it was in the book. I thought Reese and Rob were good. I don't know why they didn't cast a younger actress to play Marlena.

Lady in the Street, Freak in the Bed said...

I wish I had re-read the book before I went to see the movie. I may re-read it after I finish Tina Fey's book. That was my biggest issue with Reese, that they really should have cast a younger actress. But I still thought she did good. I heard she got bad reviews.