Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Court

I was suppose to be a witness in a trial yesterday. I was suppose to put my hand on the bible and swear to tell the truth. The whole truth. And nothing but the truth. It didn't happen. But it did get me to thinking about the idea of truth. Everyone has their own version. Who is right? Who is wrong? Life isn't so black and white. You learn that as you grow older. There's this shade of grey. Sometimes the grey is all you see. Sometimes the truth just doesn't sound right. I'm lonely. I'm gay. Sometimes denial is better. Better not only for you, but the people in your life. The truth can take you down. The truth always comes out. The truth can be hard and cold if you try to hide it. But when you confront the truth it becomes your best friend. There's this idea that telling the truth makes you more vulnerable, but it what it really does is make you more human. When you face it you become a more authentic person because you have a strength you never had before. You have a part of yourself you didn't have before. And it's that moment you have to remember the next time the truth gets you down.

No comments: