Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Writer's Block

Why start a blog? Who is really reading this? I think because I use to write and I want to write again. I started writing when I was ten years old. I wrote constantly for seventeen years. I stopped about a year ago. How old am I? You do the math. I was never good at math. I was only ever good at writing - or so I thought. I had struggled and worked for no money in any capacity to gain experience for five years. I was going to be a writer. That might not seem like a long time, but you go that long without a paycheck. It isn't fun. The series of near misses got to me. I spent so long thinking I knew where I was going and then one day I didn't. I got a job that turned out not to be what I had expected and it broke me. Why then? I don't know, but in that moment something crossed over in me. I simply had nothing left to say. I had to put away the pen. The ink had dried up. And with that I lost my identity. What was I suppose to do next? What was I suppose to do for the rest of my life? I had always identified myself as a writer. And then I wasn't. I had lost my identity or any ability to define myself and who am I. Who am I? I'm still trying to figure that out.

2 comments:

Lady in the Street, Freak in the Bed said...

awwww you'll always be a writer. And you are a friend, a son, a brother, an uncle, and just an all around great person!!!!

Anonymous said...

i often wonder what to do with my life. i had no idea at the age of 10 and still have no idea at the age of 26. that can't be good. lol