Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reading is damned hard writing

Here I sit, microsoft word open with the straight line just blinking away on the blank white screen taunting me to write a word...a letter even. I tell the humming noise, which is trying to break through the wall surrounding my brain to cause the words to spill onto the keyboard; 'I have nothing to write about, the ideas are stuck inside a deep dark cavern of the writing side of my mind.' The humming doesn't listen. It doesn't understand I have the want, the NEED to write, to create my second novel but just not the words to put that novel together, nor the motivation it takes to sit at the computer and actually think. The blinking line doesn't comprehend that the longer it sits blinking the more I become agitated and my right hand will move to the mouse and move the cursor up to the "x" and shut off that writing program. I don't mean to do it, my arm moves of its own accord.

There's a quote I have on a bookmark of mine written by Ernest Hemmingway I believe, where it says "Reading is Damned Hard Writing," which I put as the title of this blog. Those words can't be truer. While people pick up a book, or short story or poem, they think to themselves that it is simple to write those. Well, I assure you all IT IS NOT! So I sit and stare at the blank screen becomming more and more depressed that not a single thought is coming to me on what in the world to write about. And if that thought comes to me? Well how do I go about writing it...how do I do the research for it? If any of you have any idea. Let me know.

Signed,
Lindsay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have an idea for you for your next book!

Anonymous said...

what is this idea you speak of????